Between 2008 and 2014, the Belgian State carried out a vast investigation of the struggle, always outside beaten paths, in protest at detention centers, borders, prisons and the world of authority and exploitation. The targets of the investigation: Acrata anarchist library, anarchist and anti-authoritarian publications, dozens of leaflets and posters, over one hundred actions, attacks and sabotage… in other words, the struggle against power in its various expressions.
Note: Enough is Enough is not organizing any of these events, we are publishing this text for people across the US and Europe to be able to see what is going on and for documentation only.
Raids, bugs, cameras outside and inside homes, shadowing, phone tapping, infiltrated police… were the investigative instruments set up. However, all this has never allowed them to prove the existence of any alleged ‘anarchist terrorist group’, which only exists in cops’ authoritarian plots. As the prosecutors are not prepared to give up they have downgraded their ambitions, still counting on making someone pay all the same. So it’s on the more malleable charges of ‘criminal association’ that 12 comrades will be on trial on 29th April and in the following days.
But as a matter of fact their target is any individual who in his or her struggle against this world starts from self-management, direct action and hostility to all forms of authority. In this respect this trial is a repressive attack on the whole anti-authoritarian struggle, an attack to be placed in a wider context of repression against all the undesirables and rebels, at borders and in neighborhoods, in workplaces and in prisons…
On 22nd October 2018 the date of the judicial comedy was fixed. In months to come, defense and prosecutors will have to submit their written conclusions on the case. The trial will start on 29th April 2019 and is expected to go on for 4 days.
The charges are:
- Having participated, as a provocateur, gang leader or any other leading role, in an association formed with the purpose of attacking people and property, through the perpetration of crimes (a charge against 3 people)
- Having participated, for more or less long periods, in an association formed with the purpose of attacking people and property, through the perpetration of crimes (a charge against 9 people)
- Attempted arson of a detention center for migrants in Steenokkerzeel during a spontaneous demonstration outside the centre on 21st January 2009 (a charge against 8 people)
- Having assaulted or resisted with violence and threats six policemen during a spontaneous demonstration outside the Steenokkerzeel detention center for migrants on 21st January 2009
- Having posed the risk of attack on people and property during fireworks outside the prison of Forest on 4th October 2010 (a charge against 3 people)
- Destruction of others’ property during a clash with the drivers of two limousines parked in the vicinity of a ‘Gathering of subversive books’ on 5th October 2011 (a charge against 3 people)
- Bodily harm to two limousine drivers during a fight on 15th October 2011 (a charge against 3 people)
- Having attacked or resisted with violence and threats two policemen during a spontaneous demonstration in Anderlecht [a Brussel’s suburb] on 12th November 2010 (a charge against 2 people)
- Bodily harm to an officer in the night of 1st October 2010 (a charge against 1 person)
- Fabrication and transport of weapons, in particular iron bars, firecrackers and bent nails, on 1st October 2010 and on 12th November 2010 (a charge against 4 people)
- Wall writings on several occasions with the aggravating circumstance of ‘hatred as a motive’ (a charge against 7 people)
- Blocking of the traffic on several occasions (a charge against 4 people)
- Having insulted European officers with the aggravating circumstance of ‘hatred as a motive’ (a charge against 3 people)
- Having publicly self-attributed the title of honorary advocate (a charge against 3 people)
If the struggle for freedom is a crime, innocence is decidedly the worst thing.
To put this trial in context, we suggest other texts that have been written on the matter:
Sans relâche. A propos des récents coups répressifs contre les anarchistes et anti-autoritaires sur le territoire belge(October 2013)
À propos du procès anti-terroriste à venir contre des anarchistes et des anti-autoritaires en Belgique (April 2016)
To go back to that period we can also recommend:
Tout doit partir. Pour la liquidation totale de ce qui nous détruit. Les numéros de ce journal sont consultables dans des différentes bibliothèques anti-autoritaires. On peut aussi les télécharger sur le net.
Brique par brique. Se battre contre la prison et son monde (Belgique 2006-2011). Paru aux éditions Tumult(tumult.noblogs.org)
Éclats de liberté. La lutte contre la construction d’un nouveau centre fermé pour clandestins à Steenokkerzeel (Belgique, 2009-2010). Paru aux éditions Tumult (tumult.noblogs.org)
Hors Service. Recueil de textes du journal anarchiste 2010-2014. Paru aux éditions Tumult (tumult.noblogs.org)
Translated from Italian by act for freedom now!
Support Enough is Enough! Donate!
Donation for our work in the Enough is Enough info-shop and our independent reporting on our blog and social media channels. Even 1€ can make a difference.
Support our work on the Enough is Enough blog and the Enough is Enough Info-Café. You can do that with a donation here, or by ordering stickers, posters, t-shirts , hoodies or one of the other items here or click at the image below.