More and more cities across the globe are joining the Frifays for Future school strikes. On the German territory alone students will go on strike in more than 50 cities on Friday January 18. The school strikes for climate justice were started by 16 year old Greta Thunberg last year.
Note: Enough is Enough is not organizing any of these events, we are publishing this text for people across the US and Europe to be able to see what is going on and for documentation only.
Is it an anarchist movement. No its not, but many of the school strikes are self-organized and there are many cities where young anarchists are involved in the school strikes. The movement for climate justice is growing fast, many young people are getting active because they see that the “traditional” political system is not acting against climate change.
The Fridays for Future school strikes are often still appealing to politicians but combined with civil obedience butin her speech during the COP24 summit in December, 16 year old Greta Thunberg made very clear that she is aware that politicians will ignore the strike movement:
“If solutions within the system are so impossible to find, maybe we should change the system itself. We have not come here to beg world leaders to care. You have ignored us in the past and you will ignore us again. We have run out of excuses and we are running out of time. We have come here to let you know that change is coming, whether you like it or not.”
Get active and support the strike movement for climate justice.
In Germany the following cities (Updated until January 16)join the Fridays For Future school strikes on January 18 (The time and locations are the places where people will meet for demonstrations):
- Aachen, 10:00, Markt
- Augsburg, 11:00, Rathausplatz
- Bayreuth, 11:00, Herkulesbrunnen am Marktplatz
- Berlin, 10:00, German parliament
- Bielefeld, 12:00, in front of the old city hall
- Bonn, 9:30, Münsterplatz
- Braunschweig, 12:00, Platz der deutschen Einheit
- Bremen, 10:00, Marktplatz
- Deggendorf, 11:00-13:00, Grabkirche am unteren Stadtplatz
- Dortmund, 10:00, City hall
- Dresden, 14:30, State parliament
- Düsseldorf, 11:00, From city hall to state parliament
- Eberswalde, 13:56, Bahnhof (train station)
- Elmshorn, 10:30-12:30 Uhr, Alter Markt in der Fußgängerzone
- Erlangen, 11:00, Hugenottenplatz
- Essen 10:00, Willy-Brandt-Platz
- Frankfurt a. M. 10:00, Bockenheimer Warte
- Freiburg, 9:00, Platz der alten Synagoge
- Friedrichshafen, 11:00, Buchhornplatz
- Göttingen, 8:00, New city hall
- Hamburg, 8:00, City Hall
- Hannover, 12:30, Start am Kröpcke
- Halle, 10:00, Marktplatz
- Heidelberg, 11:00, Park neben der Stadtbücherei
- Hildesheim, 11:00, City Hall (Marktplatz)
- Jena, 12:00, Holzmarkt
- Kaiserslautern, 11:30, Kugelbrunnen
- Karlsruhe, 11:00, City Hall
- Kiel, 8:30, State parliament
- Köln, 9:00, Bahnhofsvorplatz
- Landau, 10:00-12:00, City hall
- Landshut, 12:00, City hall in the Altstadt
- Leipzig, 12:30, Willy-Brandt-Platz
- Lübeck, 11:00, MuK bei der Brücke
- Lüneburg, 12:00, City hall
- Mainz, 10:00, Bahnhofplatz
- Marburg, 10:00, Marktplatz
- Mönchengladbach, 10:00, Rathaus Rheydt
- München, 11:00, Geschwister-Scholl-Platz
- Münster, 10:00, historisches Rathaus am Prinzipalmarkt
- Nürnberg, 10:00, Hauptmarkt
- Oldenburg, 10:00, Julius Mosen Platz
- Offenburg, 11:00, City hall
- Osnabrück, 10:30, City Hall
- Pforzheim, 11:00, Markt
- Potsdam, 14:00, State parliament
- Saarbrücken, 9:30, St. Johanner Markt, Gathering 10:30 Europa-Galerie
- Stuttgart, 11:00, City hall
- Stade, 9:00
- Trier, 10:00, Domfreihof
- Tübingen, 11:00, in front of the Kepler-Gymnasium (Uhlandstraße)
- Ulm, 12:00 Marktplatz opposite side of city hall.
- Viersen, 12:00, Remigiusplatz.
- Würzburg, 11:00, Main rain station (Hauptbahnhof)
- Zweibrücken, 13:30, City hall
On Friday January 25 there will be a demo in front of the Federal Ministry of Economics in Berlin at 12:00. Students across the German territory are mobilizing for this demo. In the evening (January 25) the Enough is Enough Info-Café will organize an info event about climate and capitalism. The Info event will start at 19:30 in the Wiesenstrasse 48, Wuppertal (German territory).
Support Enough is Enough! Donate!
Donation for our work in the Enough is Enough info-shop and our independent reporting on our blog and social media channels. Even 1€ can make a difference.
Support our work on the Enough is Enough blog and the Enough is Enough Info-Café. You can do that with a donation here, or by ordering stickers, posters, t-shirts , hoodies or one of the other items here or click at the image below.