Posted on Leave a comment

#GiletsJaunes #Acte66: Renewed Determination in #Rennes

Rennes. French territory. On Saturday February 15, the Yellow Vests had called for a demonstration in Rennes that brought about 1500 to 2000 people together. While the opening gathering took place on the Place de la Mairie, the whole city centre was blocked by riot cops.

Originally published by Nantes Révoltée. Translated by Enough 14.

Rejected on the Place de la République, the demonstrators tried to reach the fixed meeting point from the beginning, but were immediately attacked with a water cannon. Without warning. Forced to retreat, the demo maintained its will to demonstrate in the city centre.

On several intersections, the demo was prevented from passing and attacked with tear gas. The cops attempted to charge, but found themselves surrounded by the demonstrators and had to retreat in the vicinity under various projectiles and garbage cans.

The forces of law and order took refuge 50 metres further behind the mobile gendarmerie trucks, throwing the grenades they had on them and beating people randomly.

The cops came to charge the protesters for free. On this charge, they lost thanks to collective power and solidarity!

Continuing towards Charles de Gaulle, the police, somewhat repainted in white by artists, violently attacked the front of the demonstration at Liberté. Demonstrators were trapped on the stairs, beaten up without mercy.

Video of the police attack against the front of the demo.

A young woman was shot in the head. After a ten-minute kettle, she was released with others, shocked, crying and bleeding on her face. Other people were arrested, their crime seemed to be nothing more than to have carried the banner, obviously stolen by the police at the same time.

The rest of the demonstrators managed to continue the demonstration, in two groups, one of which took the centre as far as Place Saint-Anne and the Parliament of Brittany. A few banks and the police station were attacked and the police forces were unable to stop the mobilization on several fronts. We must note the presence of Nathalie Freche, the commissioner of Nantes, to coordinate the operations.

Chasing small groups of demonstrators through the streets and beating them up.

Demonstrations and wild and fiery barricades continued into the evening.

Images by: Vérum, Alex, Les chroniques du Dey de Rennes 2

Support Enough 14!

Donation for our work in the Enough 14 info-café and our independent reporting on our blog and social media channels. Even 1€ can make a difference.


Keep the Enough 14 blog and the Enough 14 Info-Café going. You can do that with a donation here, or by ordering stickers, posters, t-shirts , hoodies or one of the other items here or click at the image below.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.