On this episode, Final Straw Radio features two voices from Minneapolis, the epicenter of mass demonstrations and uprising following the police murder of #GeorgeFloyd.
Originally published by The Final Straw Radio.
First up, you’ll hear from Jacquie, a professional medic living in Minneapolis. Jacquie talks about the impacts of corona virus on Black and Brown communities around the city, some of what she saw in the early days of the protests and the feelings expressed to her about the killing of George Floyd and the problem of police in our racist society. You can find a project of theirs on instagram by seeking @femmeempowermentproject.
Then, Tonja Honsey, executive director of the Minnsesota Freedom Fund, talks about bail and prison abolition, infrastructure to get folks out of jail and supporting the people in the streets. They’re online at MinneapolisFreedomFund.Org
Both interviewees shout out Black Visions Collective and Reclaim The Block, two police abolition projects in Minneapolis, and the Northstar Health Collective. Check our show notes for links to those projects, as well as bail funds for cities where solidarity protests have been met with police repression.
There is an effort right now to get compassionate release for Jalil Muntaqim, former Black Panther and member of the Black Liberation Army. Jalil has been held by New York state since 1971 and he recently has tested positive for the Corona Virus. His attempts at parole over the years have been stymied by police and racists pressuring and stacking the parole board for Jalil’s involvement in the death of two cops 5 decades ago. This has happened 12 times since 2002 when he became eligible. More info about his case at his support site, freejalil.com and check out this SFBayView article for how you can help push for his release.
Breaking the 4th Wall
Hey, y’all. First off, I just want to say how impressed I am at the power that people are drawing up from within in order to battle the police all over the country. Seeing videos and hearing stories from Minneapolis, Atlanta, Oakland, New York City, Omaha, Denver, St. Louis, Tucson, Los Angeles and elsewhere, plus the solidarity rallies and support coming out here and abroad is so heartwarming. This week, you’ll know, police in Minneapolis murdered George Floyd, an African American man and people were there to video tape it. Since then, people took the streets, were met with tear gas and rubber bullets, some held vigils while others held the streets and set fire to a corner of that world that holds them hostage, including a police precinct. The cops present at Floyd’s murder were fired, and finally the officer who murdered has been arrested. Mr. Last week, police murdered a Black Trans Man named Tony McDade in Tallahassee. Over the prior month and a half, that same force murdered two other African American men, Wilbon Woodard and Zackri Jones. On March 13th, Louisville police murdered Breonna Taylor, a medical First Responder, during a home raid. At a protest on May 28th for Breonna’s legacy, 7 people were shot by unknown parties. Video of the murder by a white, retired cop and his son in Glynn County, Georgia, of yet another African American man, Ahmaud Arbery, was released a few weeks back sparking protests and the eventual arrest of the killers. The police sat on that video since Mr. Arbery’s killing in February, allowing the killers to walk free.
Please stay safe out there, y’all. Already, some folks have died at these protests, riots and uprisings against the status quo. Wear masks to protect from covid but also to obscure your identity. Drink lots of water, get good sleep if you can, take care of each other and support each other in these hard times. You can keep up on ongoing struggle via ItsGoingDown.org’s site and social media presence, and you can watch amazing videos from Minneapolis via Unicorn Riot.
Housing Liberation in Minneapolis
“At 8:00pm on Friday, blocks from the epicenter of the uprising, we watched from a tent as armored vehicles and hundreds of national guard advanced on Hiawatha. The curfew was in effect and the state offered no options for a couple camped outside. The hotels promised to the large encampment across the highway left them and many other behind. The shelters were full. This couple finally found refuge in a largely vacant hotel a mile away. The next morning, they awoke to the burned remains of Chicago and Lake and learned that the hotel owners planned to evacuate. With nowhere else to go but with a community showing up to support, the couple declined to evacuate.
Together we invited displaced and unsheltered neighbors to join us. Overnight people came in with harrowing stories of terror from police and other white supremacists. National guard shot rubber bullets at us while we stood guard against that violence. At the time of this writing nearly 200 people have created sanctuary in the memory of former shelter worker George Floyd. We avenge Floyd’s death in the flames of the third precinct and honor his life in the reclamation of hoarded property.
We have protected this building by occupying it. There is no going back to how things were – this isn’t a Sheraton anymore, it is a sanctuary.”
Bail & Anti-Repression Funds Across The U.S.
National Bail Networks
By City / State:
- Atlanta – https://actionnetwork.org/groups/atlanta-solidarity-fund
- Austin – https://reparation.atlas.thrinacia.com/campaign/24/400-1-bail-fund
- Baltimore https://www.baltimoreactionlegal.org/community-bail-fund
- Bay Area (San Fran, Oakland, San Jose, Vallejo, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz) https://rally.org/ARCbailfund
- Brooklyn – https://brooklynbailfund.org/donation-form
- Boston – https://www.massbailfund.org/
- Buffalo NY https://fundrazr.com/11fcAd
- Charleston South Carolina https://www.gofundme.com/f/charleston-sc-protestor-bail-fund
- Charlotte – Cash App: $WereStillHere Venmo: ResistanceisBeautiful Call: (980) 224-2097 bail support
- PAYPAL = NCFreedomfund@gmail.com CashApp = NcFreedomfund
- Chattanooga http://www.calebcha.org/donate.html
- Chicago – https://chicagobond.org/donate/
- Cincinnati Ohio https://www.givelify.com/givenow/1.0/NTU5MjE=/selection
- Cleveland – BLM Cleveland https://www.paypal.me/blmcle
- Colorado – https://fundly.com/coloradofreedom
- Columbia, South Carolina: Cashapp/Venmo: sodacitybail | 803-602-4589
- Columbus – https://www.paypal.me/columbusfreedomfund
- Connecticut http://www.ctbailfund.org/donate
- Dallas- https://faithintx.org/bailfund/
- Denver – https://fundly.com/coloradofreedom
- Detroit – https://www.detroitjustice.org/the-bail-project
- Fargo & Morehead North Dakota https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8oLGbaaeqf
- Florida: https://www.floridajc.org/bail
- Grand Rapids / Western Michigan https://secure.actblue.com/donate/kentcountyibond
- Harrisburg, PA https://dauphincountybailfund.org/donate
- Houston – https://www.paypal.me/blmhouhttps://www.restoringjustice.org/bail
- Indianapolis – https://bailproject.org/
- Kansas City – https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/it-aint-over-legal-fund
- Las Vegas – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/vegasfreedomfund
- Los Angeles (inc. Oxnard, San Clemente, Santa Ana, Long Beach): https://www.gofundme.com/f/peoples-city-council-ticket-fund ← bail, supplies, transport overall fund
- Louisville – https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/louisville-community-bail-fund/
- Madison, WI https://freethe350bailfund.wordpress.com/ Venmo: @Liam-Manjon | Cashapp: $FreeThe350BailFund | Paypal: FreeThe350BailFund@gmail.com
- Mass – https://www.massbailfund.org/
- Memphis – https://justcity.org/what-we-do/mcbfund/
- Miami – https://www.paypal.me/freethemall
- Michigan https://michigansolidaritybailfund.com
- Milwaukee – https://fundrazr.com/mkefreedomfund
- Minneapolis https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/ ← asking for help in other areas. Click thru for links/direction
- Minnesota – https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/
- Nashville – call (615-455-1875)
- Nebraska – https://www.paypal.me/neleftcoalition
- New Orleans – https://donorbox.org/safety-freedom-fund
- New York- https://www.libertyfund.nyc/
- https://emergencyreleasefund.com/ ← focused on trans humans
- North Carolina PAYPAL = NCFreedomfund@gmail.com CashApp = $NcFreedomfund
- Oakland https://rally.org/ARCbailfund
- Ohio – Canton/Akron https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8pz5hovrmY
- Orlando Florida https://communitybailfund.org/
- Philly – https://www.phillybailout.com/donate.html
- Phoenix https://secure.everyaction.com/lFZFGA1BpUa9kyYYgSxSKw2
- Pittsburgh – https://www.gofundme.com/f/aftercare-for
- Portland – https://www.gofundme.com/f/pdx-protest-bail-fund
- Raleigh/ Chapel Hill – https://www.takeactionch.com/donations
- PAYPAL = NCFreedomfund@gmail.com CashApp = $NcFreedomfund
- Richmond – https://rvabailfund.org/donate
- Rhode Island https://www.gofundme.com/f/fangbailfund
- Roanoke –https://chuffed.org/project/rjs-bail-fund
- Rockford IL (and Winnebago County) https://www.wincoilbondproject.org/donate
- Salt Lake City, Utah https://www.gofundme.com/f/c2mvvn-support-protesters-arrested-by-slcpd
- San Diego (inc La Mesa) https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-raise-funds-to-support-our-community
- San Jose https://siliconvalleydsa.org/donations/
- Seattle – https://donorbox.org/ncbf
- Silicon Valley/San Jose: https://siliconvalleydsa.org/donations/
- Toronto – https://www.gofundme.com/f/toronto-protestor-bail-fund
- Tucson https://secure.actblue.com/donate/tsccbf
- Tulsa https://www.paypal.me/BLMOKC
- Washington State https://www.nwcombailfund.org/
- Wilmington, DE https://www.gofundme.com/f/fnbbailfundwilm
Support Enough 14!
Donation for our work in the Enough 14 info-café (More needed than ever before in times of the coronavirus) and our independent reporting on our blog and social media channels. Even 1€ can make a difference.
Keep the Enough 14 blog and the Enough 14 Info-Café going. You can do that with a donation here, or by ordering stickers, posters, t-shirts , hoodies or one of the other items here or click at the image below.